An agency’s commitment to increase the impact of volunteers through engagement, capacity building and leadership plays a critical role in making volunteering a core strategic function of their organization.
United Way’s Distinguished Service Nonprofit Award gives you a chance to recognize a nonprofit that strengthens our community through engaging volunteers! All 501(c)3 nonprofit agencies in Dane County are eligible to be nominated.
Distinguished Service Nonprofit Award
One nonprofit will receive $250 for their organization. This award is sponsored by Dane County Administrators of Volunteer Services.
All nominees will be recognized and award recipients will be announced at the Community Volunteer Awards luncheon on Tuesday, April 28, 2020 from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm at The Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor’s Club.
- Complete the nomination form and answer the questions in this packet to tell the story and impact of your nominee’s work.
- Nominee must be a 501(c)3 nonprofit agency that serves the community at large and engages volunteers on some level in their organization. Nominations for faith-based organizations and service clubs must be for service(s) provided to the community at large (not just for their congregation or members).
- Volunteers engaged by the nonprofit agency must not receive any payment for their services but may perform service as part of work-release time or for student course credit. Reimbursements for out-of-pocket expenses, like travel, are acceptable.
- Previous nominees and recipients may be nominated again. However, recipients of a 2019 award or a recipient of the Mike McKinney Award in any year may not be nominated in 2020.
- Employees of United Way of Dane County and their families may not participate as a nominator or nominee. Judges and their families may not participate as a nominator.
- Eligibility and the selection of award recipients are at the discretion of the judges and judges’ decisions are final.
- Eligibility and the selection of award recipients are at the discretion of the judges. Decisions are final.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who chooses the award recipients? A: Recipients are selected by a group of volunteer community leaders.
- Q: Should I tell the volunteers they’ve been nominated? A: Yes! It is a great honor to be nominated for a United Way Community Volunteer Award.
- Q: What happens after a volunteer is nominated? A: After the nomination form is received at United Way, a congratulatory letter will be sent to the nominee. Later, the nominee will receive an invitation to the awards luncheon.
- Q: Are only United Way Partner Agencies eligible? A: ANY nonprofit organization in Dane County can be nominated as long as they meet eligibility requirements.
- Q: Need help filling out the nomination form? A: Contact us at CommunityEngagement@uwdc.org.