Who chooses the award recipients?
Recipients are selected by a group of volunteer community leaders.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Nominee volunteer activities may take place at any nonprofit organization or school in Dane County that serves the community at large. Nominations for volunteers at faith-based organizations and service clubs must be for service(s) provided to the community at large (not just for their congregation or members.)
- Volunteer service must be unpaid but may be performed as part of work-release time or for student course credit. Reimbursements for out-of-pocket expenses, like travel, are acceptable.
- Recipient of a 2018 award or a recipient of the Mike McKinney Award in any year may not be nominated in 2019. If you are unsure if the volunteer received an award in the past, please see the list of past recipients here.
- Employees of United Way of Dane County and their families may not participate as a nominator or nominee. Judges and their families may not participate as a nominator.
- Eligibility and the selection of award recipients are at the discretion of the judges and judges’ decisions are final.
- For a nonprofit nomination, the nominee must be a 501(c)3 nonprofit agency that serves the community at large and engages volunteers on some level in their organization.
- For a youth nomination, the nominee must be a youth in grades K – 12.
- Event sponsors cannot self-nominate for the Community Volunteer Business Award. Table sponsors can self-nominate for this award.
Should I tell the volunteers they’ve been nominated?
Yes! It is a great honor to be nominated for a United Way Community Volunteer Award.
I nominated a volunteer last year, but they did not win an award. Can I nominate them again?
Yes! You may nominate a volunteer who has been nominated in a previous year. However, if your volunteer received a Community Volunteer Award last year or received the Mike McKinney Award in any year, they are ineligible for nomination.
What happens after a volunteer is nominated?
After the nomination form is received at United Way, a congratulatory letter will be sent to the nominee. Later, the nominee will receive an invitation to the awards luncheon.
Can I submit more than one nomination?
Yes, as long as the nominees do not perform the same function within the same organization.
Is the online nomination form the only way I can nominate a nominee for the Community Volunteer awards?
No, you also have the option to submit a paper nomination form by downloading and following the instructions to complete the form listed by category. (Click on the category name to access the PDF nomination form.) Youth, Individual/Group, Business, and Nonprofit.
Are only volunteers at United Way partner agencies eligible?
Volunteers at ANY nonprofit organization or school in Dane County can be nominated as long as they meet eligibility requirements.
What are some tips for completing the question part of the nomination form?
- Take your time: It’s important to take your time completing your question responses. You can use word or some other program to formulate your thoughts and have the ability to save your work.
- Edit and spell check: After you’ve written your question responses, make sure to reread and review with a fresh set of eyes to make sure you’re presenting your nominee in the best manner possible for award consideration.
- Click here to listen to a recording of a training conference call!
Questions about the nomination process or have a question not listed here?