The 2016 United Way of Dane County Annual Report shares all the results from 2016 and previews all that is ahead in 2017, a Year of Connection.
With spring in the air, it feels like a good time to take a moment to pause and reflect on the work that has been achieved by so many members of the community coming together. If you’ve ever wondered what your financial support, advocacy and volunteerism lead to – take a look at the 2016 United Way of Dane County Annual Report.
Here are just a few of the highlights, achieved with our many partners, from 2016:
- 93% of 4-year olds in Parent-Child Home Program are 4-K-ready, and parents had a 42% gain in parenting skills. 160 families served.
- 1,834 students were tutored 15+ sessions in 4 districts, 1,612 (+9%) in MMSD. 57% showed higher growth in literacy than a comparison group.
- 82% of families (208) in Housing First are stably housed at half the cost of shelter. 2,300 families avoided eviction.
- 558 people were hired through the HIRE Initiative, up 16% from last year. 1,345 have been placed in employment since the program began, including 174 at $15+/hr.
- 3,250 students received behavioral health treatment, helping them focus academically.
- Journey Home participants had a 2.6% re-incarceration rate, well below our 10% goal, and our 2005 baseline of 66%.
- Fall rate for older adults reduced to 19.5% compared to the national average of 50%.
Of course numbers don’t reflect the lives that are changed. Lives are changed by engaging with United Way; either as a program participant, a donor, a volunteer (check out our Volunteer Recognition Directory), a partner agency or a business partner.
At United Way, we fight for the education, financial stability and health of everyone in Dane County. We are excited that 2017 will be our Year of Connection – connecting systems in our community, impacting one life at a time.
So this year, get connected. Take a look at the Annual Report, follow us @unitedwaydaneco on social media, save the date to attend an event like the Community Volunteer Awards on May 2, find a volunteer opportunity through volunteeryourtime.org, and invest in the future of our community by giving today.
Thank you for everything you do. We are: The power of many. Working for all.