- The first sign of skin breakdown is redness, in a person with dark colored skin the area may appear pale or ash colored or darker than the surrounding area.
- Do not rub an affected area!
- Position the person off of the affected area, if redness or other color change does not disappear in 30 minutes, that is a sign of skin damage and a health care provider should be contacted.
- The most important thing to do at this point is to keep pressure off of the area.
- Alternating pressure mattresses, heel protectors, cradles – and keeping blankets off feet can help