Common sense tips for assuring medications safety:
- Keep a list of all medications the care receiver is taking and bring the list to each office visit.
- Include vitamins, minerals and over-the-counter medications on the list.
- Obtain all medications from the same pharmacy as much as possible.
- Never give medication prescribed for one person to another person.
- Do not stop giving the medication without telling the physician.
- If you miss a dose of medication, check with a doctor before giving it. Some medications should be skipped rather than giving it too close to the next scheduled dose.
- Ask the pharmacist if medication should be taken with or without food.
- Drink plenty of water each day – this will help eliminate medications from our system and prevent meds from “building-up.”
- Use medication administration systems to keep track of medications that have been taken.
- Beers List