Do you know what to do in case of a fire? Could you evacuate the person in your care safely?
- 82% of all fire deaths occur in the home.
- People ages 65+ have the highest risk of dying in a fire.
- Let your local fire department know you are caring for a person with a chronic condition that could impair their ability to escape.
- Develop and practice an escape plan.
- Keep the plan consistent with the abilities of the care recipient.
- Keep hallways free of clutter.
- Keep a phone near your bed and a flashlight nearby.
- Plan your escape, know at least two ways to get out.
- Get our and stay out! Never re-enter the house!
- Never take an elevator in an apartment.